History In Ink™ Historical Autographs
1935 St. Louis Cardinals
Click on image for larger size
This extraordinary archive contains the autographs of 17 members of the 1935 St. Louis Cardinals, which was much the same team that defeated the Detroit Tigers in seven games in the 1934 World Series. This colorful team, which captured Depression-era America's imagination with its all-out style, became known in baseball lore as the ”Gas House Gang"—a nickname that stuck in 1935. Those signing, including five members of the Baseball Hall of Fame, are:
● Charley Gelbert (1906-1967) – Third Base
● Virgil "Spud" Davis (1904-1984) – Catcher
● Leo Durocher (1905-1991) – Shortstop – member, Baseball Hall of Fame (1994)
● Terry Moore (1912-1995) – Center Field
● Pepper Martin (1904-1965) – Third Base
● James "Rip" Collins (1904-1970) – First Base
● Mike Gonzalez (1890-1977) – Coach
● Bill Hallahan (1902-1981) – Left-handed pitcher
● Dizzy Dean (1910-1974) – Right-handed pitcher – member, Baseball Hall of Fame (1953)
● Jesse Haines (1893-1978) – Right-handed pitcher – member, Baseball Hall of Fame (1970)
● Paul Dean (1913-1981) – Right-handed pitcher
● Joe Medwick (1911-1975) – Left Field – member, Baseball Hall of Fame (1968)
● Bob O’Farrell (1896-1988) – Catcher
● Bill Walker (1903-1966) – Left-handed pitcher
● Frank Frisch (1898-1973) – Manager and Second Base – member, Baseball Hall of Fame (1947)
● Bill DeLancey (1911-1946) – Catcher
● Phil Collins (1901-1948) – Right-handed pitcher
Accompanying the autographs is an explanatory letter dated September 6, 1935, from a staff member at the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, which for years was the morning newspaper in St. Louis. He writes: “Here you are, Old Boy,—The Cardinal autographs that you asked me to get the last time I saw you in Grand Haven. / Charley Gelbert got the players to sign, and I know he would appreciate a word of thanks from you."
Gelbert and Davis have signed in ink, while the rest of the team members have signed in pencil. The autographs and the letter of provenance have been double matted in suede in the Cardinals’ team colors, bright red and navy blue. They are framed in black with an engraved identification plate and two photographs, one of the team’s starting lineup and the other of pitching aces Dizzy and Paul Dean. Both the autographs and the letter have normal mailing folds, but overall both items are in extremely fine condition.
This item has been sold.
Click here to see other
vintage baseball autographs
that we are currently offering.
© 2006 History In Ink, L.L.C.